Friday, June 27, 2008

NY Housing

So after the ridiculous process and extremely long wait to find out about our acceptance into student housing at Columbia, we find out that we did not get housing!  We figured that we had a pretty good chance because we were in priority one out of three and there were only 20 couples in priority one.  It just so happens that only the top five on the list were accepted for housing!  We were 18 on the list of 20.  We were pretty disappointed at first, but hope that this is an opportunity.  So far in our search we have not found many differences with living on or off campus except for the location.  Cost, size, safety, etc. seem to be about the same.  If anyone has any leads to a great apartment in New York, Upper Manhattan area, we would love to hear about it! 

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh man sorry Jamie! That totally stinks. I hope you guys find something soon, sheesh, the move is less than two months away huh?

*Aliese* said...

I actually have a couple of friends who live in Manhattan; I'll send 'em some e-mails.

*Aliese* said...

-ok- Here's the e-mail from one friend...
Do you know their budget? Price range? I could give them suggestions according to that. If they want to stay in Manhattan, they can try to live near the Columbia area, which is in Harlem. Anything really close is gonna be pricey b/c that area is kept up pretty well. The further NE they go the cheaper living will be, but the more dangerous it will be. There is always Queens and Brooklyn too. I found my apartment through Craigslist and a broker. A broker is the best way to go, but they require at least a month's rent as commission. I would probably suggest Queens then? The safest place to live in Manhattan is the Upper West Side, which is where I live. My 3-bedroom apartment costs $3400 a month. My boyfriend's one-bedroom just went up to $2850 a month. They might be able to find a small one-bedroom or a studio for closer to $2000 a month up here...since they are a couple and new to the city, a large studio might not be a bad way to go. There is also Midtown, Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill and parts of the Upper East side below 100th st. Long Island City in Queens has really nice places but with city rent and the financial district has new buildings. When searching, they will probably come across a lot of "Washington Heights" and "Morningside Heights" places - I would avoid them, not so safe up north...

Meredith said...

Dang it! That's too bad. I hope you find something soon!

Derek and Jamie said...

Thank you Aliese for contacting your friend in Manhattan, that information will help.

Natalie said...

You guys should ask my parents, who can ask my aunt and uncle, who lived in NY for a couple of years. Sounds like quite the connection... but really, they might have some good suggestions! Good luck!

Julie said...

I have a friend who lives in Queens. I see what info I can get from her.

Leslie said...

How was New York? Any Luck?